Support This Site Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Everybody Wang Chung Tonight

As I look back over my lifetime and think about what the greatest moment in television may have been, I realize my choice probably would not coincide with the majority of society.

I think of Reagan demanding, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall,” and I think about watching as the Berlin Wall crumbled. I remember watching the Challenger explosion and being intrigued by the reactions of the adults around me.

There was the evening we sat around the television watching a White Bronco followed by a convoy of police and the end to O.J.’s football legacy. Then there was the outrage as the verdict was read some two years later.

There have been great moments in the Olympics in my lifetime: from the Miracle hockey team to the Dream Team, we’ve seen a lot.

There’ve been natural disasters, great Presidential debates and groundbreaking interviews. I will never forget the night I sat watching an historical interview with Louis Farakhan when the program was interrupted to announce the death of Richard Nixon.

And then, of course, there was 9/11 and horror millions felt watching the towers fall, live, on our television screens.

But none of these, for me, can be called my “TV’s Greatest Moment.” No, that moment for me occurred recently and consisted of the 40-something lead singer of 80’s rock band Wang-Chung bending over slightly and slapping his protruding rear while singing, “Girl, I think my butt gettin’ big!”

What entertainment genius . . . what god of all things which dispel boredom . . . what wonderful, wonderful person made the decision that Wang-Chung should perform Nelly’s “Its Getting’ Hot in Here” on my television screen? Please tell me for I would like to kiss him.

What a wonderful thing is this show "Hit Me Baby 1 More Time."

I have not before felt such immense pleasure. I laughed so hard I choked, I almost died . . . and yet, had I gone to meet the Maker at that moment, it would have been a perfect end. Who would not want to die so happy?

Now there are those who will call me "weird" or "crazy" and others that will call me "dense." Most, however, will just think that I am joking.

But I am not. I am dead serious.

I know at the end of the year when the news programs look back over the milestones we've experienced in the previous 12 months -- Wang Chung will not even receive an honorable mention.

But, for me, Wang Chung, I don't care --- you guys are my heroes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elle Woods said...

I saw the Vanilla Ice show, I feel cheated since Wang Chung sounds so much cooler!

I also put a link on my blog ;)

6/21/2005 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Listed on BlogShares