Support This Site Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free

Monday, June 27, 2005

Boys of Summer I

Final/Mid-Term exams this week will mark the end to my God-forsaken 8:00 a.m. class, giving me a reprieve from a 5:00 a.m. wake-up call and the need to drag my butt out of bed and to the gym before the sun even shows itself every morning.

With an Mp3 player soon to arrive, I have been on a downloading kick looking for the music I grew up with. The title of this entry is itself a reference to the Don Henley classic.

"I can see you/ your brown skin shining in the sun/ you've got your hair combed back/ sunglasses on, baby/ I can tell you/ my love for you will still be strong/ after the Boys of Summer have gone . . ."

My mission has been 3-fold:

1. Find as much good upbeat music from the '80s as is humanly freakin' possible.

2. Re-discover the "ole school" hip-hop I was dancing to at the age of 13. (I discovered yesterday I can still do a decent Humpty Dance and pull off a reasonable Running Man.)

3. Pull all of those Top 40 singles I didn't listen to during High School because I was too punk to admit that, damn it, Oasis was a decent band . . .

I've gone through the Top 100 charts from the 1980s. If anyone has suggestions for must-have music that might not have made the top 100 in any given year during the "Me" decade . . . please let me know. (Please, no Prince.)

Oh, and a couple of songs from 96-97 which I would suggest to anyone interested:

"Standing Outside a Broken Phonebooth with Money in Your Hands." by Primitive Radio Gods.

and

"Los Banditos" by the Refreshments

(for anyone unfamiliar with this overlooked gem, during high school we referred to it as the "world is full of stupid people" song.)

Oh, this reminds me . . . Primus. I need to look for some Primus. If I can just remember which of their music I liked.

. . . and I probably need to do some studying too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elle Woods said...

Sadly, I think I am too young to have REALLY appreciated 80's music. I'm all about the John "Cougar" Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Cyndi Lauper (I named the doll I've had since I was 18 months old after her), Madonna, Michael Jackson (Pre Him being all weird) and Prince...I don't think any of those are what you're really looking for.

6/29/2005 7:45 PM  
Blogger Moonlighting in Misery said...

I LOVE John Cougar Mellencamp. "Littl Pink Houses" was one of my favorite songs growing up. He was awesome. I don't know why he decided to drop his middle name.

7/01/2005 4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Listed on BlogShares