Support This Site Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free

Monday, February 06, 2006

Another Post About Nothing

Well, with my Student Comment now done, finished, and turned in . . .

I believe my absolute hatred and complete disgust with everything Law School has successfully been abated.

After coming to terms with the fact that I must actually finish school, given my student loans as well as the towering expectations of every person I've ever met,

I've had time to rethink where it is I'm going after I put Lubbock in the rearview mirror.

And I still have no idea.

It would be a shame not to practice law. After all, it is what i've wanted to do ever since I was thirteen (that is, since I realized I'd never have my shot at having a major mafia family named after me, oh, and with the exception of from about 16-18 when I wanted to be Abbie Hoffman, or Jack Kerouac, or both)

I was a real exciting little kid. Let me tell ya.

I don't know. Maybe I wasn't all bad -- just atypical.

For some reason I just had a flashback of me at 15 making pitchers of this tropical coctail of Coconut Rum, Blue Curacao, pineapple juice, and . . . was it orange juice? -- I don't know -- But making pitchers of this drink for my parents and the consistently drunk lady from across the street, while she would sit in our kitchen listening to the album from Dirty Dancing ("nobody puts baby in a corner") over and over and over again while I fanned away her smoke out of my face and argued with her about every topical subject under the sun.

She was the mother of my friend put away for murder. I didn't know much about her until after he was arrested.

Then we found out she used to be called "Madame Butterfly." That was on account of her having been a notorious madam in Oklahoma City prior to her arrest and conviction on tax evasion charges. They'd also owned several strip clubs.

Damn federal government and their taxes. (ha ha). We never believed my friend when he told us they'd once owned a mansion with a huge heated pool and jacuzzi and several cars. WTF?! we'd say. Your mom is a nursing home adminstrator. Your dad is a subcontractor.

I always felt sorry for the residents in her nursing home. I will never forget the way she cackled when she told us about finding two of the old people having sex in the hall once.

An old German lady, she was. She got me drunk once then took me (and my family) to our local Oktoberfest and taught me how to do the twist. (And no, that is not innuendo. We took off our shoes and in our socks actually did the twist with a bunch of other drunk Germans -- or Wannabe-Germans-For-A-Day)

They've since moved and when they did, the workers hired to remodel the house got sick because -- from what we hear -- so much Meth had been cooked upstairs the fumes had seeped into the walls and just standing in the room too long could poison you.

She has one son serving life for murder.

Another bums around and is in an out of jail on drug and petty theft charges, he's addicted to Meth and the last my parents saw of him was on a Crime Stoppers commercial.

Her daughter had her child taken away because of a bad drug habit.

Oh, and her eldest son is now a lawyer.

Score one for the legal profession! Yeah!!

(I honestly didn't grow up in a bad neighborhood. It was actually decent by Lawton, Oklahoma standards. Remember -- my town was ranked highest in the nation per capita for violent crime when I was in high school. But we were blue-collar, working-class. Nothing to be ashamed of.)

But to get back to my point, if I had one, it's that I have no idea where I'm headed.

And I've also realized that as daring, adventurous, and spontaneous as I was 10 years ago . . . I have become so complacent and comfortable lately.

I'm not sure I want to leave Texas.

As much as I'm excited about it -- a summer in Washington, D.C. is beginning to scare the crap out of me. I will definitely miss the big-headed arrogance of my fellow Texans. I'm just not quite sure the arrogance of Washington, D.C. politicians, lobbyists, beaurocrats, & hanger-ons will measure up.

We shall see.

And this has been another post about absoluuuuuutely nothing, brought to you by your favorite law student without that oh-so-longed-for sense of humor!!! Good day!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your blog through Law School Discussion. Great stuff!

I know what you mean about missing the "big-headed arrogance" of Texans. I moved to DC for an internship and really missed the camaraderie between Texans. I loved it though and I really want to go back. Word of warning though - some people LOVE to HATE Texans.

When you go, if you start craving decent Tex-Mex, try Tortilla Coast on the Capitol South Metro stop and the Dancing Pepper in Alexandria, VA. Both owned and operated by Texans!

Good luck!!

2/06/2006 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Listed on BlogShares