Support This Site Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free

Monday, April 24, 2006

Let's Bring it Down for a Moment

I just have a few thoughts I'd like to share with everyone today . . .


The Good: Special Champions.

I attended the Special Olympics of North Texas on Saturday. I used to think the "special" in Special Olympics was like that "special" as in "riding the short bus" special.

I have changed my mind.

This "special" definitely refers to the fact that out of 365 days in the year, the most meaningful, most fulfilling, and most entertaining day you can spend in that year would be volunteering to help at these Games or at least attending and cheering on the athletes.

My sister-in-law won a 4th place ribbon in the shot-put, 3rd place in the standing long jump, and 2nd place in the 50 meter dash.



I can't tell who got more out of it -- her or me.


The Bad: Arrest of Dr. Wang at White House.

Dr. Wang, pictured below, was arrested last week on the lawn of the White House and faces 6 months or more in prison for "threatening a foreign official."


She used her press pass to demand attention for the human rights abuses occurring in concentration camps in China set-up for the harvesting of the organs of innocent Chinese citizens being persecuted for practicing Falun Gong exercises.

President Bush apologized to Chinese President Hu Jintao for being confronted with Dr. Wang's outburst. The U.S. Government refuses to recognize or investigate that any such abuses may be occurring.

The chapter of International Justice Mission here at Tech Law will be hosting a speaker on Thursday who has been advocating more awareness of these human rights abuses that have been occurring for 7 years now.


The Ugly: TomKitten?

All weekend long I could not pick up a magazine, turn on the news, or check my favorite news sites online without being slapped in the face by news of Tom and Katie's new baby.

I really could care less . . . unless, of course, the child turns out to be the promised alien messiah who will be taking us all back to the home planet. In which case, I would like to know so I can start planning my departure.

I did hear on the radio this morning a report that TomKat was wrong about the name they chose for the baby. As the report said, they thought it meant "Princess" but it turns out it may mean "Pick-Pocket" instead.

After Minority Report and War of the Worlds, how appropriate.

2 Comments:

Blogger That Guy said...

We're the last two people in N. America that couldn't care less about TomKat. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

4/24/2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger Elle Woods said...

I fully agree about TomKitten, Tom Cruise is a psycho and Kate Holmes wants publicity, let's move on.

I also agree about the special olympics, I used to work with the mentally impaired and it was SOOOO rewarding. Difficult at times, but always fulfilling.

4/26/2006 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Listed on BlogShares